Vegan Muttar Panir (Curd and Pea Curry)
Traditionally made with Indian curd cheese, this is great with tofu.
1 slab plain tofu
3-4 tbsp oil (plain sunflower or vegetable – not olive oil)
2.5cm/1 inch piece fresh ginger, coarsely grated
1 tsp turmeric powder
¼-½ tsp paprika or chilli powder, according to how hot you like your curry
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 green cardamoms, skinned
2.5cm/1 inch piece cinnamon, broken
2 onions, finely chopped
1 tsp poppy seeds
1½ tsp salt
2 cups peas
4 tomatoes, chopped
2 cups water
1 tsp garam masala
1 tbsp lemon juice
- Slice tofu long ways to make 2-3 ‘steaks'.
- Drain well on kitchen paper to mop up excess water.
- Fry in a little oil till golden on each side.
- Drain and allow to cool then chop into 2.5cm/1 inch cubes. Set aside.
- Grind ginger, turmeric, paprika, cumin, cardamoms and cinnamon, adding a little water to form a paste.
- Fry onions, mustard seeds and poppy seeds till golden.
- Add paste and salt and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add peas and tomatoes, stir fry for a few minutes, add water, cover and cook till peas are tender.
- Add tofu cubes and stir in well so they soak up the flavours.
- Before serving, sprinkle with garam masala and lemon juice.
- Serve hot with rice, dahl and chapattis.