Tasty Tofu Salad
About 6 servings
Approximately 60 minutes total preparation and cooking time.
Also great in sandwiches.
450g/1lb firm plain tofu, drained and patted dry
240ml/8½fl oz water
60ml/4tbsp shoyu type soya sauce (Kikkoman or Clearspring)
2 thin stalks celery, finely chopped
½ large red pepper, finely chopped
4 spring onions, thinly sliced
1 cup vegan mayo – to reduce fat content, use half cup mayo to half cup soya milk, mixed thoroughly
1. Cut tofu into 2.5mm slices – about the thickness of a pound coin!
2. Place in two shallow dishes in a single layer.
3. Combine water and soya sauce and pour over tofu.
4. Marinate for 15-30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F/200°C/Gas Mark 5.
6. Coat a baking tray with oil and add marinated tofu in a single layer.
7. Bake until deep gold – about 30 minutes.
9. Cool, cut into thin strips, place in serving bowl with rest of ingredients and coat with mayo. Chill before serving.
Adapted from Breaking the Food Seduction by Neil Barnard, available from The Vegetarian Shop