Speedy Smoky Pasta
375g/13oz/3 cups penne pasta
30ml/2 tbsp olive oil (Omit oil – or use one squirt of low-cal oil spray - if cooking extra healthy version! Just sauté veggies in a little stock instead).
1 large onion, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, crushed or chopped
3 courgettes, thinly sliced
2 large red peppers, diced small
225g/8oz mushrooms, sliced
1 pack smoked tofu, cubed (Cauldron smoked tofu is available from large supermarkets in the fridge section)
1-2 440g jars vegan pasta sauce of your choice, according to how ‘wet' you like your pasta.
Green salad for 4
Vegan mayonnaise or vinaigrette dressing
- Put on a pot of water to boil, add salt if required, then add penne pasta. Cook for approximately 10 minutes. Drain and put aside.
- While pasta is boiling, sauté onion, courgettes and pepper in olive oil for a few minutes then add garlic and mushrooms. Cook everything together until courgettes and onions are tender.
- Add diced smoked tofu and sauté gently for 2 minutes.
- Add pasta sauce. Stir in to incorporate ingredients and let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Mix up cooked pasta with the veggie and tofu sauce and freshly ground pepper in a large serving bowl.
- Serve with green salad and mayo/vinaigrette dressing.
Variations: try mixing in 1 tbsp vegan pesto and sprinkling with vegan Parmezano or nutritional yeast flakes - delicious!
NB. Parmezano available in large supermarkets/health stores; Engevita-Marigold yeast flakes sold in health stores)